a) Overview of the visit
On Thursday 8th February 2018, officials from the DHL Rwanda visited SOS Children’s Villages Rwanda. Led by the DHL country manager, the team, including the Commercial manager and Telesales executive visited SOS CV Rwanda and held a meeting with the Senior Management Team to understand better SOS CV Rwanda work and how they can support through YouthCan! initiative and beyond.
In her welcome remarks, the National Director appreciated the commitment made by DHL Country Manager during the YouthCan! national launch and the next steps taken to visit SOS CV Rwanda. She briefed the team on the core business of SOS CV in Rwanda highlighting the FBC model setup, community-based family strengthening interventions, educational support and health related interventions as well as advocacy for child care and protection.
The discussions were presided by a documentary film demonstrating SOS achievements which were later followed by a visit by the team to Kigali location to witness how the family-based care model is established and understand better SOS CV Rwanda main interventions and programmes.
In her remarks the Country Manager of DHL Rwanda appreciated the noble cause of SOS CV Rwanda. She stressed that DHL is looking forward to partner with SOS CV Rwanda to realize its mission. After discussions with SOS team, the Country manager noted that this partnership will cover a wide variety of activities clustered as follows:
Job orientation to SOS youth about the job market and most especially the logistics industry
Offer of internship opportunities that will expose them to professional working environment and gain work experience
Job placements where possible upon successful competitive recruitment process that is performance based and result oriented
Continued advocacy through various networks for partners to support SOS CV Rwanda and specifically youth employability etc.
Support through provision of scholastic materials and other child care related needs and services such as school fees, medical insurance, etc.
Local child sponsorship
b) Next steps:
• DHL will discuss internally how to support SOS CV Rwanda
• Through Go Help DHL Rwanda will provide immediately support to SOS CV Rwanda on a quarterly basis
• Provide Internships to SOS youth – with no specific time limits with a small internship package and lunch
• Through the Telesales Executive, DHL will communicate to SOS CV Rwanda on any job openings for SOS youth to participate
• DHL will review the possibility of signing an MoU after seeking guidance from the Regional Office
• SOS CV will identify the needs requiring support and submit it to DHL in quarter one 2018
• The DHL Country Manager on a personal level will get in touch with SOS focal person for child sponsorship
• The focal person for SOS CV Rwanda will be Aimee Muziranenge (Director of fund development and Communication where as for DHL Rwanda will Ms. Katushabe Jane – Tele sales Executive)
DHL Rwanda is part of the Deutsche Post DHL Group whose Corporate Responsibility is an integral part of DHL corporate strategy. With “Living Responsibility” motto, DHL focuses on environmental protection (GoGreen), disaster preparedness and management (GoHelp) improving educational opportunities and employability of young people, especially those from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds (GoTeach).
SOS CV Rwanda supports 660 through family-based care and youth facilities and more than 5000 children from poor families in four Districts of Nyamagabe, Kayonza, Gasabo and Gicumbi, through Family Strengthening programmes.” SOS CV also supports more than 1032 young people (youth) to grow into responsible citizens and lead independent lives.
Health coming soon
Advocacy coming soon
Family Strengthening coming soon
Projects coming soon